Thursday, August 19, 2010

Books, books and more books

Remember this photo:


That seemed like quite the ambitious pile at the beginning of the summer, after all, I had never read actual books at the pool before.  Prior to this year, I had been more the magazine type-having to look up every few minutes to locate my kids and make sure they were still technically above the water.  As this hot, super hot, insanely hot summer winds down, I am thrilled to report that I have read most of these books plus a few more.  I recently read The Help, loaned to me by a fellow book lover and pool goer.  I loved the story and the characters and felt sad to say goodbye to them on the last page.  I try to avoid lists on my blog-seems a little like cheating to this English major (though I love reading other people's lists-go figure), but I am going to make  a list of all the books I've read this summer. 

Gods In Alabama
The Weight of Silence
The Reliable Wife
The Life of Pi (UGH!)
Firefly Lane
The Help
Little Bee
The Mermaid Chair
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Right now, I am speeding through Dead Until Dark, which is a Sookie Stackhouse novel-of True Blood (on HBO) fame.  I normally don't even like to read books that come in that tiny paperback form but it's a fun and quick read and it's really interesting to see where the inspiration for the show came from.  I am also starting The Book Thief, which my mom recommended and is apparently young adult fiction.  So far, it seems a little dark, so I may put it away till November or so. 

1 comment:

Andi said...

I have read nearly half of those! :) Loved The Help as well. I could not get through The Book Thief. It is dark, and I just couldn't get interested enough.(But I am also probably the only one who didn't care for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so maybe it is just me) I am waiting for The Weight of Silence to come in to the used bookstore. That is on my list as well. Per your recommendation of The Gods in Alabama, I read Between Georgia by the same author. It was weird but good in that weird way. Hard to describe.