Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Summer List

One of our very favorite traditions every Memorial Day is to make THE Summer List.  We all sit down together and make a list of all the things we want to do before it's time to hit the books again in August, which always comes around much too fast. 

This is the best list I make.  After all, most of the lists I make during the school year include things like pay bills, go to gym, grocery shop...you get the idea because you make the same kind of list every single day whether it's on a piece of legal paper, in your calendar or just in your head.  But the summer list, this one is different.  The summer list is a little bit of adventure, with things like go hiking, go to Knoebels, go to the beach.  It also has goals, like read 100 books (that was a contribution from my 8 year old last year) or ride a two wheeler.  The goals are pure fun and no one really cares if you don't reach them.  In summer, it's the journey that counts the most. 

I've already got a few ideas for my part of the list this summer.  With an almost teen in the house, I am starting to realize exactly how precious the time here together is and I want to make the most of it and enjoy every last drop of summer with my kids.  And, I want to finally use my ice cream maker-I think that might be first on the list. 

4 comments:

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt said...

I love this idea! I'm a huge fan of goals, lists and that sort. Hmm...I might have to adopt this tradition!

Katie said...

Great minds must think alike, because I saw this on another blog earlier this week (http://megduerksen.typepad.com/whatever/2010/05/the-summer-list.html). I'd never heard of it before, but it's a fantastic idea!!

rosie said...

Thanks! I have to say that mine is usually just on regular paper, not all cute like the one on her blog- I think I have a little list envy ;)

Sunshine and Shadows said...

What a wonderful idea. I am going to do this with my son.